Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Possibly heretical sacrament


They only serve breakfast until 11 a.m.
But I woke up late, and additionally
A friend was in need
Time stops not for trivialities
Such as the availability
Of one woman's much-desired meal

I phoned ahead, asking
if they could make my omelette
for pickup after the cutoff time
“We’ll wait for you,” they said
“Do not worry about being late to the table.
There is no shame here.”
I do love their omelettes.

It comes with a hearty 7-grain toast
A giant slab of it
served with foil-wrapped butter.
And what breakfast is complete
without coffee?

I took the bread and the cup
The ding of the cashier and the
low chatter of patrons
silenced;
The clickety clack of fingertips
on laptops all but ceased

Swirls of cream hovered over
dark, caffeinated waters.
I heard a voice,
“Let there be life”
And there was.
And the world was very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment